Translate

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Communications Basics 101: A Communicators Job is Never Done on a Higher Level

While I have completed a book and then had it published too, it does not mean my communication is over.  In one sense it is, the fundamentals in it really are done.  What remains is more of each of those fundamentals - their development.  My book is titled, Mental Health for Everyone,

One of the chapters describing schooling is the key to making a major dent in the problem of manic-depression and the other extreme of putting people to sleep.  My sample or example in that chapter comes from the sport of track.

Since writing the book, I think the key point using track is solid, but I should have developed my approach in contrast two approaches.  There are essentially three approaches to the mind's handling of relationships.  They are:

fast and steady
fast and variable
slow and steady.

I should have used the story of what I will call my reformed school one mile race.  In high school, I ran a race against two runners from a reformed school.  One was fast and steady and the other was slow and steady.  I was the one who was fast and variable.

The fast and steady runner took off in the race like it was a 400 meter or 440 yard race.  He collapsed after a couple of laps.  I mean he literally collapsed onto the track.

His teammate on the other hand ran steadily slow until he realized it was the last lap.  Then he at the last moment took off in an effort to catch me.

Personally, I was lulled into running too slow myself by his approach to the race and by his activities leading up to the race.  I call it the zombie effect.  Until he took off after his procrastination in the race I had been running a too relaxed pace myself.  Fortunately, a teammate let me know I should get going since the guy was coming up on my fast.

I took off harder myself with 300 meters or 330 yards to go.  I in the end held him off since I had run fast, but variably based on my distance.

In this race, I knew I had to vary my pace from what I would do for 400 meters.  That way I did not collapse.  But I also knew to run fast still, since too slow of a pace could also lose the race.  That is what happened to the second runner.

In the United States we have young people especially who are trapped by a world that is only fast and steady and eventually collapses - too often in the form of suicide or some form of breakdown.  We also have many who procrastinate until the race is lost and it is too late to win the prize.

I could further the ideas in  my book by developing this story.  So I am doing it now.  This will likely go into a second edition, if I am fast enough to get that opportunity.

The good thing is that I finished my book - I did not collapse and not finish.  Likewise, I didn't drag it out until the last gasp and end up getting it out too late - I still have things left over to improve next time.  I didn't engage in fruitless procrastination.

My book titled, Mental Health for Everyone, is available through Amazon and through Barnes and Noble.  To get to my book simply type in my full name or the full title or both.  You will find it.

If you want a bit of a preview beyond that found at Amazon.com, then you can go to youtube and watch the following (you might have to copy and paste this to your browser):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC5XDFly3GA



Have fun!  Remember, it is fast and variable wins the race.  Go get 'em and let's win this race!



Sincerely,

Jon Westlund



No comments:

Post a Comment