Translate

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Communication Basics: Classical and Cutting Edge (the story of Scott Canon)

My freshman year of college I had a roommate who everybody questioned how we got along.  Actually, it was a very good match.  He stretched me in one cool way in particular.  He had a really good receiver, a great turntable, and an awesome speakers.  But his equipment wasn't the only cool thing.

Cooler yet, he listened to classical music in the morning and edgy rock and roll at night (or do I have that backwards?).  The same holds true for me today.  When it comes to communication, I think we need to read the classics in rhetoric in the morning and read the best communication research of the 21st century in the afternoon.  Or you can reverse that if you like. Neither one alone is cool enough!

So when you read my comments on communication, sometimes I'll be reading something from B.C. and other times something from A.D.  I hope that means we can still get along as classmates of communication.  I think it just might stretch you like Scott's music stretched me.

Stretching by the way is a good way to avoid injury.  But also don't overstretch.  But that is another story.  .


Sincerely

Jon

P.S.  This entry is dedicated to Scott Canon, who stretched me and strengthened me.  We still are getting along just fine, based on my last conversation with him a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment