Translate

Monday, July 28, 2014

Communication Basics: Being Satisfied (Inner City School Teaching Story)

Sometimes in life it is a combination of skill and luck that makes you successful.  In the case of moving from a classroom of students from dissatisfaction to satisfaction while I was a substitute teacher, I must give credit to both.  What had changed leading up to this point was my desire to increase class discipline and learning through more of the carrot and less of the stick.  The other thing was continuing to use a logical tool that showed the students the purpose and method of school, so they could be more motivated and more successful.

If you were a student growing up, then you know how bad it sometimes went for substitutes as students tried to test their worth.  When I was a student my classmates sometimes ate them for lunch.  While I lived in California I needed some more income, so I added this to my mix for making more money whenever my other jobs were not producing adequately.  I decided from the start, I was not going to be a sub who was eaten alive by the class.

I developed a great "stick" approach to class discipline.  I was never really eaten alive, though it certainly was tough some times.  I wasn't satisfied though it was a good starting point from which to begin.  As time passed, I became more aware of a desire to "use the carrot more than the stick".   Sometime in the early 2000s, I finally wanted to try something new.  It likely was in 2004 and following.  For some time I had been using a tool that showed students the logic behind school, both in terms of the how and the why.  This clearly made things better, but I still wasn't fully satisfied.

So finally, when I was substituting in downtown St. Paul, MN, I put up on the board two diagrams. One had to do with the carrot or the stick.  The carrot in this case was pleasure.  The stick in this case was pain. Next to that, I placed a pie chart with 4 words for each slice of the logical pie and one name for the whole pie.

I also wrote my name on the board, since I knew knowing my name was significant in creating ease in the class.  Then I would introduce myself as the teacher who wanted to keep things on the positive side of pleasure in education, but that they also had a responsibility to keep it from going to education becoming a pain.  Next, I would ask them why they were in school and wrote down on the board their answers.

It was the same nearly everywhere I went.  No one really knew the how and the why.  I usually say 95% didn't know, but that is being very generous.  Answers would range from because I have to and my mom made me come to having a better chance at a better paying job.  These answers may not have been on the mark, but they were real reasons students were in class.  Then I would ask them, if they could tell me from my chart, the core reason behind why they were in school and how the set up of school fostered that.  On my multiple choice chart, they got even closer to the answer, but usually the one that was the main one was the last one they chose.

It was then that I would explain that the why of school was to teach us mainly about things and the words associated with them.  If they would realize that the strength of school was there, but also that its strengths were not in the others, then they were better equipped to be successful in school.  But if they asked school to be something it wasn't like focused on action, then they would likely find it hard to be successsful.  The key was to learn its strengths and then supplement from other areas to build an overall strong person.

[School already does try to supplement itself in the other areas.  It has physical education (PE) to go along side mental education (ME).  It also offers extra-curricular options to supplement the student and classroom emphases.  You have sports to strengthen the body alongside the mind.  You have clubs to strengthen the soul alongside the mind.  It is a time to strictly work on building relationships and friendships.  There were leagues or bowl events for larger scale opportunities to build our heart for competition to be the best at something a person can be.  These things I likely did not mention the day I was at the St. Paul high school. But I sure wish I had.]

The best part of this new approach was that the students became model students that day.  It was the best classroom behavior I had ever experienced.  But that was just the icing on the cake.  It was not the writing on the cake.  That came at the end of the school day.  I was walking down the hall when a student from one of my classes that day said, "I wish I was you".   At first, I was in a bit of shock.  I just had a student say this to me "a substitute".  But that student made my day.  He put the writing on the cake.

All these years later I can now see how I addressed emotions in a very general way through the carrot of pleasure and the stick of pain.  I also addressed their logic.  They wanted to know "how" does this thing called school work and "why" am I here in school, when I could be home watching TV or playing video games. I let them see the whole picture and then picked out the part that school handles the best.  There was no reason to be jealous of others, when for the first time you have the satisfaction of knowing why you are in school.

What I thought was the more important part then, addressing the IQ for who and whole (the whole picture and the part school filled in that picture), wasn't the main reason for this students' enthusiasm.  It was firs, the EQ (Emotional Intelligence) for school and the sense of emulation over jealousy.  Why be jealous of others when you feel satisfaction?  Not so obviously that day produced emulation as a pleasure and diminished jealousy as a pain for those students.

I can't wait now to get back into a teaching role wherever it might be.  Because now I can expand the picture to include not only the carrot over the stick, but the basic emotions that line up with each of the basic logics. The emotional center and the logical center will now be better able to talk to each other and to make the mind a better functioning tool for handling this thing called life.  Ah, the sweet enjoyment of emulation of mind.

Sincerely,

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment